and when she speaks
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
I walked out of the call room where I was hanging out with Mariam before walking over to clinic this afternoon.The sight that greeted me melted my heart. And I felt so bad that I had to use the elevator at the same time as them, there and then. I should have left them alone for some time.Her husband kissed her on her forehead and held her close. She was holding on to him tight and her IV pole with fluids was behind her. She said "I want to go home" He gave her another peck on her head and comforted her in his arms for a bit whilst waiting for the elevator. I stood by awkwardly, a little bit further behind them in the quiet corridor. Watched him treat her so lovingly. I know her. I took care of her two weeks ago. She's back here for her chemotherapy, and she has no hair under that beautiful blond wig of hers. Her children don't know she is bald. But she looks beautiful nonetheless. This is love at its purest. Standing by someone when they need you most and being their every support for them to hold on to. It was a beautiful touching sight. All these little daily showers of love that I see at work always makes my heart feel so full of hope, love and joy. Sounds silly and too sweet, right? But it really does.
On another note, Sing Wei- my childhood friend- played the song by Bruno Mars "You're amazing just the way you are" on the piano, recorded it and emailed it to me- all the way from Australia. I heart you, Sing Wei. He wrote to me the sweetest message:
"Sorry for being a bit (just a bit) bad at keeping in touch. I'm here! Although I don't reply (I should, really), I treasure your emails and posts, they're always a pleasure to read. You know, the world has a lot to learn from you, Sue. Keep doing that thing you do. and know that everyone will always be behind you *hug*"
Thanks Sing Wei =) You made my day! :) *hugs*
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
We should do this every 2 weeks *laughs*Eating at a steakhouse (fully sponsored) - and having steak & amazing desserts with wine/beer (for me; it's Diet pop) :) That Tiramisu made me extremely happy tonight =) then, I walked them back to the train station.
- One of the nurses went "Oh you're so tiny! You'll disappear soon!" - and she's so lovely. Everytime I'm having a hectic day, I either get a hug from her or chocolates :) The nurses on 10/11K are amazing!
- Yesterday I had a visitor pop into my call room twice. And disturbed me! But then, I had company for dinner downstairs at ABP :)
- Was quiet during the afternoon during call yesterday, so I got to catch up with the GMF people; Julio and Jose at ABP. So good to catch up and talk/rant/motivate/comfort each other! *haha*
- Ran to a code blue yesterday, turns out it was my old patient. He came in unresponsive, we shocked him twice - but brought him back from pulselessness! The neurosurgeons came to the bedside, and opened his skull up and drain the pressure- remarkably, his blood pressure started coming up after that. What an amazing feat. The feeling of him being in PEA (no pulse) for 15-20 minutes watching the boys pump on his chest ---to bringing him back from the brink of death- was amazingly gratifying. Everybody did such a great job. Extraordinary.
- I transferred another patient again to the ICU this morning, right towards the end of my call- what a morning.
- Bumped into Anjali this morning, who invited me to her birthday party this Friday, the night of my ACP poster presentation /post-call day/ team dinner @ Babareeba! Told her I'd try my very best if I'm still not loopy after being awake for 40+ hours- and she was so sweet "Just come for dessert!" =)
- Sarah and Gan are coming over from NYC- gave me a list of the restaurants they're hitting up end of Oct. Will be inviting the other big foodies for a nice dinner with good company! :)
- Bugged Aaron to go for a road trip!
- Want to plan for a dinner party with work colleagues over. A potluck, some drinks- nothing crazy or big or fancy. Just a small shindig to get people together and catch up! :)
- Bought a new dress =) Sexy and sophisticated! Love it :) Can't wait to wear it!
- Presenting at Northwestern this Friday! :)
- My patient was discharged today. He and his wife were so thankful, and had so much gratitude... My patient went 'Thank you, especially for all you've done.." I know he meant the comfort and reassurance that I have given when he was scared and overwhelmed. I responded 'No, no, it's my responsibility to do all that'. He said 'You've been great to me. Thank you.' I smiled and beamed 'I'm happy you to see you doing so well' Then, the wife chipped in, 'Do you have a business card?' I laughed... "No- it's not with me right now'. Then, she got me to write my name down on her sheet of paper ;) Aww. What a great feeling :)
Sunday, October 17, 2010
Yesterday, I went into my patient's room.And I had a grown man cry on me...One hand was holding his IV pole, and the other the tissues I passed into his hand.He was hesitant to come into the hospital in the first place, it was his wife and daughter who both forced him to. I placed one hand around his shoulder and another on his back. Comforting him as best as I could. His tears came streaming down, and my heart sank seeing this old man cry like this.In between tears, he sobbed 'What did I do?'"You did nothing" 'What could have caused this?'I laughed jokingly hoping some humor could help with the reassurance- "Why are you worrying about this? You let us worry about that. All you need to do is tell me how you are everyday and let us know if you don't feel well. We will do all the worrying and figuring out for you. You leave that to us, ok?" I continued placing my hand on his shoulders and rubbing them as gently as I could.I got a page, I was running late for rounds with the boss. I stayed on for a while more- sitting beside him on his bed. Til the tears stopped flowing. He felt better. Then, I told him I'd see him later again.My boss looked at me when I was running towards the team for rounds. "Sorry Dr..., my patient was crying"'Oh- so what did you do?'"I sat with him, and comforted him"A smile lit up on my boss's face and he said 'Good' Then, Benson was teasing me whilst we were walking on the floors during rounds. Then, he put his arm around me- and asked jokingly 'Did you get emotional?' I laughed and reciprocated by putting my arm on his back, and said "Noo...... I kept my cool!"He laughed back. And said "Yeah, we have to be"Aw, Benson is so sweet. Never got to know him until this rotation :) Like a big brother =)